Monday 9 May 2011

Evaluation - Question 2



How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?


My two ancillary products, my film poster and film review page are marketing products that work to promote and enhance my short film production. It is important that through the ancillary products, an insight into the film is provided. In order to be effective as a complete package, the three production pieces must share a number of different aspects that allow them to become identifiable with each other. 




Much like the ancillary texts produced to support the second Spider-man film, it is evident that each of the products share a recurring theme. Spider-man is the character of main importance within the film and is therefore featured on all products. All three texts present Spider-man in a similar stance/position which offers him position of empowerment and authority. Both posters created for the film share the same title font, which suggests that this font is now related to the film and this is how people would recognise it. The colour schemes of each product are somewhat similar, although the poster on the left has been edited to a 'Sepia' effect. The colours of Spider-man's costume are however, still evident through the editing style. All aspects that have been commented on in relation to the Spider-man products must now be answered in relation to my own media production pieces. 


In addition to my short film, I was asked to produce two subsidiary products to compliment the main product in promotional value. By researching and evaluating a number of different existing products, I was able to identify common features that would need to be included as part of my supporting articles in order for them to be effective in purpose. 
I noticed, especially with a number of horror/thriller film posters that have been released that the colour scheme tended to include darker colours which effectively enhanced other aspects of the poster. Therefore, the colour scheme for my poster and the images I have used in my film review have been chosen purposely for their darkness in contrast with light. I used the editing programme Picasa3 to adjust the brightness and contrast of some of the included images in order for them to integrate with the intended colour scheme. The atmosphere of my short film is very dark and the setting has been chosen to emphasise this. Many of the scenes were shot at night time where there would be little in the way of natural light, which would ultimately decrease the intensity of the short film. Keeping the sense of insecurity in darkness apparent through all three media products not only intensifies the genre conventions, but also allows the products to become more successful as a package. 


The bridge is the focal setting in the narrative of my short film as this is where all the action builds to a climax. Therefore, I thought it would be important to emphasise the setting as opposed to any other aspect (i.e. character) of the film. The car used to transport Louise from the bridge to the garage is also of high importance. This is shown through the elongated driving scene featured in the film, used to heighten confusion amongst the audience. I have therefore, decided to combine an image of both the car and the bridge to use on my film poster. I believe this image works to full effect as it strengths the title of the short film, yet does not give anything away in the way of narrative. Images of the bridge and the car are then used in my film review as still frames from the film itself to allow the three products to be connected through image relation. The lighting effect created by the bridge helps to emphasise the genre of horror. Although the bridge itself is brightly lit with artificial lighting throughout, the surrounding areas are poorly lit, if at all. I found this to my advantage when filming as the poor vision leading up to the bridge intensified terror of the walking scene. We found that we did not need to use any other additional lighting to the scene as the lighting that already existed worked excellently to create shadowing and contrast between settings. 


I feel that the combination of my main product with my ancillary tasks fulfil their purpose of advertising and promoting the film and the brand image. They work effectively together to enhance the genre of the short film, but also contain their differences that help them to become identifiable each as new and imaginative products for the same promotion campaign. I did not use as many identifiable features on my film review page as the magazine is targeted at a range of different genres of film as opposed to just horror/thriller. I did not feel it essential to emphasise the genre of horror within the film review as I found with other existing products that magazines tend to follow closely with their consistent layout rather than changing to suit films they review. 


The products are appropriate for the target audience as although they are young adults, gruesome and inappropriate imagery must be used with caution. The images must not contain too much blood or unsuitable content that would deem the material inapt the target audience. If the target audience were 18 years and above, then I would have considered using slightly more horrific imagery to sponsor the poster. However, my target audience consists of those 15 years and above, creating restrictions in creation. Taking all this into account, I feel that the images I have included in both my ancillary texts are suitable for the age group the film intends to target. From personal experience, I find films to be more attractive when the supporting articles do not reveal excessive amounts the story. Instead, they should touch lightly on the narrative through the use of images and assisting text, but leave an essence of curiosity as to the storyline.


As a whole, I feel the combination of my main product and ancillary tasks work successfully to create an effective advertising package. However, if I were to do the task again, I would change a number of things to increase the recognition between each product. 



No comments:

Post a Comment